As from the 1st of January 2021 UK officially ceased to be a member of the European Union.
The Withdrawal Agreement (WA) will protect those UK nationals and their family members who have already exercised or will exercise their free movement rights in the Republic of Cyprus before 1 January 2021 (before the end of the transitional period, that is until the 31st of December 2020).
UK nationals who registered in Cyprus before the 31st of December 2020
- UK nationals and their family members including family members who are non-UK nationals, who have already exercised their free movement in Cyprus before the 1st of January 2021 (by conducting the necessary registration in Cyprus) but, until 31 December 2020 had not completed continuous residence of five years, will be eligible for a temporary residence;
- Those who have not completed five years of continuous residence in Cyprus until the 31st of December 2020, will be able to remain in Cyprus (with a temporary residence permit) to build-up five years continuous residence. Time starts at registration, including before and during the transitional period.
- Those who have completed five years of continuous residence in Cyprus before the 31st of December 2020, will be eligible to acquire permanent residence in Cyprus immediately;
Family members of people who lived outside Cyprus will be able to reunite in Cyprus at any time in the future and be eligible to qualify for permanent residence as above after 5 years of residence.
Children born or adopted after the 1st of January 2021 by English nationals or their spouse/civil union partner, who registered in Cyprus before the 31st of December 2020, will enjoy the same rights as their parents.
English citizens who registered as residents in Cyprus before the 31st of December 2020 will not need to take further actions. Their current residence documents issued under the Directive 2004/38/EC (MEU1, MEU2-until expiration, MEU3) can be used as means of proof of residence rights in Cyprus. Applications received up until the end of the transition period will be examined on the basis of the current free movement rules, and, if approved, will result in the issuance of the current residence documents.
English nationals who did not register in Cyprus before the 31st of December 2020
English nationals who want to visit Cyprus must now meet the Cyprus immigration rules. The government has issued 3 specific type of residence permits for the applicants and their family members:
- A 5-year residence permit (MUKW1) for English nationals and family members who are also English nationals which is valid for five (5) years;
- A 5-year residence permit (MUKW2) for non-English nationals’ family members, which is also valid for five (5) years; and
- A 10-year residence permit (MUKW3) for English nationals and English or non-English family members.
Documents for individuals who could, but did not, validly register before the 31st of December 2020
As of 1 January 2021, English citizens who resided in Cyprus before the 31st of December 2020 but who have not applied for residence documents (MEU1, MEU2 and MEU3) by the 31st of December 2020, will continue to have the right to apply for the said residence documents (under the previous status), provided they can submit documentary evidence of their residency before the end of the transitional period.
Travelling from UK to the Republic of Cyprus
There is no time limitation when visiting Cyprus if the traveller holds a residence permit (MEU1, MEU3) received before the 31st of December 2020 or if he/she can credibly evidence that she resided before that in Cyprus and still resides in Cyprus. The said evidence are the same as the MEU3 application documents bearing a date until the 31st of December 2020.
In all other situations, an English citizen visiting Cyprus will be allowed to stay for a maximum of 90 days, unless in the meantime he or she acquired another residence permit.
*This guide contains information for general guidance and does not substitute professional advice which must be sought before taking any actions.